Gateway to Patient Care Health Careers
TCC Health Care Education Programs
Preparing our future health care workers is an exciting opportunity for TCC. We work in partnership with local health care organizations to make sure we are preparing YOU for careers in our community. To succeed, note the following:
- Physical ability is often identified in job requirements.
- Immunizations, vaccinations, nicotine usage, or prescription usage (including marijuana) may impact employment opportunities.
- Criminal background checks are required and may limit opportunities for some.
Is Health care a Right Career Path for You?
You’re inspired to care and help others, but is health care a right path for you? Health care careers are compelling for people seeking a new occupation due to their strong job outlook and higher wage-earning potential. There are a variety of careers within health care, and positions can be found at many educational levels. A career in health care can be very rewarding and positively impact the lives of many.
Here are a few questions to think about to determine if this is the best path for you.
Does Lifelong Learning Sound Enticing?
Being a part of an Allied Health care team requires you to continue to study your field through continuing education long after the initial schooling ends. As developments in the field occur, you will be expected to prioritize updating your skills as a practitioner. If this interests you, you are exactly the type of person this growing field will need.
Does Working in a Fast-Paced High-Stress Work Environment Make You Feel Excited to Participate?
Are you comfortable making difficult decisions quickly or are you willing to learn how? Are you able to communicate to a team and perform under high stress within time constraints? How do you feel about facing life-and-death situations on a daily basis? In many health care positions, you will spend much of your time in the company of sick, hurt, disabled, or dying people. If you are able to move beyond these tragic situations to see the positive impact of your work, it is a great idea to consider health care!
Are You a Team Player?
Every career path that is offered at TCC is part of a bigger picture. Effective health care delivery relies on efficient and competent teamwork to help our patients in their treatment and recovery. Are team members communicating? Making good decisions under stress? Knowledgeable? When thinking about working in health care, you should consider the amount of teamwork required to ensure it is the best fit for you.
What is the Lifestyle You Want for Yourself?
Each of the programs offered provide opportunities in different working environments. Some of the pathways allow you to consistently work through emergencies on a daily basis, working extremely long hours, and shouldering heavy responsibility. It is important to be realistic. If you don’t mind working 10-24 hours, are good at handling stress, able to take charge of your education and demanding career environment, this may be a good fit! But if you would prefer a job with more regular hours and fewer medical crises, there are other pathways offered at TCC you may want to consider!
There are so many diverse opportunities within health care. Do your research before making the decision to join our Pathways. Here are several websites to assist you in your career research and allow you to compare and contrast your options for your future.
Before You Apply to Any of the TCC Health care Pathways, Can You Answer Yes to the Following:
- I have researched my career goal and believe I able to meet essential functions of the occupation with or without accommodations.
- I have the desire and capability to work quickly under pressure in a fast-paced, continually changing atmosphere.
- I understand health care workers must commit to lifelong learning and look forward to providing the highest quality patient care.
- I understand that TCC’s health care programs are rigorous and often require very long workdays with high levels of accountability, endurance and stress.
- I understand health care professionals are required to engage with people in a variety of scenarios, which can feel uncomfortable, challenge personal values and/or religious beliefs, or expose them to contagious pathogens.
- I understand the timeline for program-specific application. Most of TCC’s programs have program-specific requirements prior to application. .
- I understand that this listing is not all-inclusive and TCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
We want to ensure students interested in health care programs are familiar with the unique aspects of preparing for a career in health care. We find preparing Tacoma’s future health care workforce extremely rewarding and look forward to meeting YOU!