Beginning in the fall of 2009, RCW 28A.600.310 is amended with the following changes:
“Running Start students attending community and technical colleges must pay mandatory college and/or student assessed fees as established by the community and technical college. Colleges must also waive mandatory college and/or student assessed fees for eligible low-income Running Start students”.
Under this policy change colleges can chose to charge fee waiver students for consumable or class fees. Tacoma Community College recognizes the needs of our low income students and may choose to waive all fees including consumable or class fees for low income students who meet the following fee waiver eligibility outlined in the procedure below.
To provide low income Running Start students at Tacoma Community College equal access to the Running Start program through a waiver of mandatory and consumable/class fees.
To Whom Does This Policy Apply
This policy applies to Tacoma Community College students who are enrolled in the Running Start program and meet one or more of the fee waiver eligibility requirements outlined under Procedure below.
Tacoma Community College will use the following guidelines to determine fee waiver eligibility:
- The student qualifies for Free or Reduced lunch for the year during which they are enrolled in Running Start.
- The student’s family receives TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) and/or Washington Basic Food Program (Food Stamps) during the year they are enrolled in Running Start.
- The student’s guardian is receiving unemployment.
- The student is a Foster Youth.
- The student’s high school counselor can verify that there are extenuating circumstances outside of the above guidelines that lead to the student needing a fee waiver.
Running Start students must provide documentation of their eligibility for fee waiver by the tuition deadline of the first quarter they attend Running Start (or within two days of their registration if they register after the tuition deadline). If students do not provide documentation and fail to pay their mandatory fees, a hold will be placed on their account.