Get Help With a Tough Course and Beyond
SI Now Available In Person and Online!
Supplemental Instruction (SI) is available both in person and via Canvas. Your SI Leader will be in your class, either via canvas or in person, or both. SI Leaders create their schedules directly with their students and will directly message them through the course canvas page.
Supplemental Instruction (SI) at TCC can do more than help you just pass a class. Our goal is to help you master it, so you can move forward with a solid foundation of understanding, all the while improving your grades.
Here are some details about accessing your Supplemental Instruction Leader or Dedicated Tutor:
ZOOM: LIVE TUTORING
SI and DT sessions (you will receive information from your SI leader or DT).
To access Zoom sessions (free to TCC students)
We will send the MEETING ID NUMBER by email or in your Canvas classroom and make accessible in the Portal so you can access these services.
If you miss it or have questions, please see the contact info at the bottom of this email:
- Navigate to zoom.us (https://zoom.us/)
- Select Join a Meeting from the header
- Enter the meeting ID number
- You will be prompted with questions regarding your audio and video preferences
- After selecting your preferred audio and video use, you will be placed in a waiting room
- The assigned staff member will add you to the session and assist you with your questions in the order that you enter
Some SI/DT sessions will be held in Canvas (you will receive information from your SI leader or DT)
SI helped me do more than simply get a good grade, it helped me to gain mastery of the material.”
How it works
Supplemental Instruction (SI) is an academic program established at the University of Missouri-Kansas City in 1973. It has been validated by the US Department of Education as improving student outcomes, including grades and retention. TCC's SI program is fully accredited by the UMCK International Center for SI. SI includes a series of weekly review sessions and drop-in tutoring sessions. SI is for all students taking difficult courses who want to better their understanding of course materials and improve their grades. SI is not just for students who are struggling, but for every student.
Participation is voluntary, free, and open to all students taking courses supported by SI.
What can I expect?
- SI can help you develop essential academic and learning skills
- SI sessions begin early in the quarter to prevent a potentially challenging course from becoming overwhelming
- SI leaders direct collaborative learning exercises that encourage students to take responsibility for processing course content
- SI participants typically earn higher final course grades and withdraw less than those who don’t participate
How do I know if I’m taking an eligible course?
SI is available in specific courses at TCC. To find out if your course is supported by SI, check under “Course Attributes” in the course listing. For more information, visit us in the SI Center in Bldg. 19 or contact, Elmira Utz, Supplemental Instruction Program Coordinator.
Get paid to help your fellow students
This is a paid leadership position with a time commitment of 8-12 hours per week. Qualified applicants will have a desire to facilitate the learning of their fellow students, a GPA of 3.0 or higher, a strong recommendation from an instructor in the discipline they are supporting, and previous completion of the course they support with a 3.0 or better.
To apply, visit Careers at TCC and select the job title Supplemental Instruction (SI) Leader – Pool.